BREAKTHROUGH: The Seventies
A 1970’s-Costume-Filled Evening of Spoken Word, Live Music & Dance Performances, Visual Arts, Great Wine, and Delicious Food.
SAT. April 20, 2019
IDEA1 (Please use F. Street Entrance)
895 Park Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92101
This quarterly Spoken Word Series is themed around catalytic moments in the history of art, science, fashion, music, pop culture and more. Each event includes delicious food, live music, spoken word, dance performances, and visual arts – all themed around a specific historical era. Co-produced in partnership with CA Poet Laureate Nominee Gill Sotu. Guests are encouraged to dress in costume of the era. This episode will be themed around The Seventies. (Rise of Feminism/ Flower Power/ Black Power Movement etc.) $25-$40
7:00 p.m. – Doors Open
– Three chef stations curated by Vanguard Culture Culinary Director Chef Daniella de la Puente. Featuring delicious sweet & savory bites (incl. vegetarian options) presented by some of San Diego’s most exciting chefs.
– Grab a 1970’s themed craft beer or cocktail presented by our sponsors Cerveza Colibre, St. Petersburg Vodka, and Boochcraft.
– Visit the current art show in Vanguard Culture Headquarters Gallery, “Improvising the Moment” by legendary 1970’s musician, visual artist, and proprietor of Croce’s Restaurant & Jazz Bar, Ingrid Croce.
– Upgrade to a BACKSTAGE PASS (for $20.00 more) and enjoy a beautiful wine tasting experience featuring some of the Valle de Guadalupe’s most prestigious wines. Presented by Baja Wine + Food.
– Instagram the night with fantastic costumed characters of the 1970’s, presented by CityFX, SD City College’s Theatrical Makeup and Special Effects class.
– Get your portrait taken by internationally renowned photographer Josue Castro https://chefsroll.com/industry/featured-industry/josue-castro-culinary-photographer
8:15pm: Show Begins. Incredible spoken word, live music & dance performances, and a 1970’s fashion show by CityFx
9:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. 1970’s dance party by DJ Gill
Visit www.VanguardCulture.org for more information
WHERE TO PARK: On most days there is plenty of street parking in this area. Many meters are free after 6pm in Downtown. Pay careful attention to street signs. We are not liable for any parking violations.
WHERE TO PARK DURING A PADRES GAME: Generally there is plenty of street parking around IDEA1 before 6:30pm on game nights. The Park it on Market parking structure (614 Market St, San Diego, CA 92101) is a 9 minute walk from IDEA1.
UBER or LYFT: Don’t want to UBER/LYFT the entire distance? Park near Balboa Park and UBER/LYFT to IDEA1 (899 Park Blvd, San Diego, CA 92101).
TROLLEY: Take ORANGE or BLUE LINE to “City College Station” Trolley Stop. Walk two blocks South and make a left on F Street to Main entrance (4 minute walk) To view all of the transit stations with parking visit https://www.sdmts.com/rider-info/transit-station-parking ($2.50 each way).
April 20, 2019 - 7:00 am